Solved

Issue with Upgrading GoodData.CN from Version 2.3.2 to 2.4.0

• 19 December 2023
  • 5 replies

• Known Participant
  • 20 replies

Dear GDCN Team,

I am writing to report an issue with upgrading our GoodData.CN instance from version 2.3.2 to the latest version, 2.4.0.

Issue Details:
- Current Version: GoodData.CN 2.3.2
- Desired Version: GoodData.CN 2.4.0

Problem Description:
I have attempted to perform the upgrade from GoodData.CN version 2.3.2 to 2.4.0 using the provided upgrade instructions. However, we have encountered unexpected errors during the Apache Pulsar upgrade process, preventing us from successfully completing the update.

Error screenshot: 

Important Note:
Initial troubleshooting has been done over Slack with Robert Moucha; however, the issue remains persistent.

Steps Taken:
- Updated the kubectl and Helm.
- Ran a Helm package to detect the K8s PDB API’s provided by Robert

Environment Details:
- Environment Type:EKS / K8s - 1.24

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. We appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue and look forward to a swift resolution

Best regards,
Ashok

icon

Best answer by Radek Nováček 19 December 2023, 16:38

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Ashok,

Radek from the GoodData technical team here! 

Firstly, thank you for moving the discussion to the Community - I went ahead and double-checked the contract in our system, and can confirm that this is indeed the correct place to be. That said, regardless of the place, please rest assured that we always try our best to provide assistance and help you solve your issues.

Unfortunately, as far as this case is concerned, there isn’t much that support can do for you - we are limited to helping resolve issues directly related to GoodData.CN and its use-cases; Robert tried to help with the Pulsar upgrade regardless, but at this point, there is no more we can assist with.

Best regards,
Radek
Technical Support Engineer
GoodData | support@gooddata.com

Hi Radek,

Thank you for your prompt response. I understand the limitations on support for the Pulsar upgrade. Could you please guide me on the next steps or the appropriate channels to unblock and proceed with the upgrade process?

Alternatively, could you provide the necessary steps to overcome the current obstacles in the upgrade process? At this point, we are facing challenges and require assistance in moving forward.

Best regards,
Ashok

Userlevel 1

For the Pulsar upgrade, I think the best place may be either the Apache Pulsar Slack, or Stack Overflow with the apache-pulsar tag (as per Apache Pulsar Community) - of course, if you make it past that step and still face issues, we can continue from there!

Best regards,
Radek
Technical Support Engineer
GoodData | support@gooddata.com

According to the GDCN release notes for version 2.4.0, GDCN requires a pulser upgrade due to an issue with the Pulsar Helm. Can I skip the pulser upgrade and still upgrade GDCN? Will it work?

I've resolved the issue with the Helm upgrade error 'unable to build Kubernetes objects from current release manifest.' The updated solution is now included in the official Pulsar README. You can find it here: Recovering from Helm Upgrade Error