Dear team, we've built a set of best practice dash...
# gooddata-platform
h
Dear team, we've built a set of best practice dashboards for our customers. For some customers, some insights (graphs) are more important than others. So, some make a copy of them and rearrange what we created, or make a selection. Some ask us to hide parts. Is their a way for us manage/cope with that efficiently. Maybe a functionality to collapse / hide some visualisations without giving them edit permissions on the dashboard?
m
Hello Hans, I don’t believe there is an out of the box solution for this. One option could be allowing users to copy the dashboard they want to edit and then hide the original dashboard. I am aware you are using LCM so this could be relatively easy to achieve by setting the appropiate tags via the API for the AnalyticalDashboard object definition as shown here: https://help.gooddata.com/doc/enterprise/en/expand-your-gooddata-platform/api-reference/#operation/updateMetadataObject. See “tags”: “tag1 tag2". Have you tried this approach?
h
Hello Moises, I believe we have suggested the copy, and indeed it was mentioned that they should not see the standard ones. Let me check out the tags options. I don't see any documentation however which tags I can use?
m
Hello Hans, the tags can be defined in the object metadata for the LCM, namely the release and rollout brick to “determine” which objects to copy from the master workspace segment to the client workspaces. In your case since, you want to keep the copy of the dashboard your users have created, then you can remove the tag that specifies it is an LCM object, this will prevent it from getting delete the next time the brick process run. Alternatively, if you don’t want the original dashboards to be copied to the client workspace anymore, since they will not be needed anymore, you may tag them as “do_not_copy” or something similar, you could then define the tags for the objects that must still be copied to the workspaces in the Release brick key named “production_tags”, more information about this can be found in our documentation here: https://help.gooddata.com/doc/enterprise/en/workspace-and-user-administration/managin[…]g-workspaces-via-life-cycle-management/bricks/release-brick/
h
Hi Moises, Thanks for your answer. We have customers that do like the dashboards we release other use only parts of them, others copy them and customize them. The latter two might benefit from hiding those dashboards, but there are still (more) customers that do use them. I understood this tags would make the configuration of what is going to be copied to the client workspace a general one, rather than a client based one?
m
Hello Hans, my apologies for my late response. I am afraid it is not possible to determine at LCM level what dashboards to copy to which clients. A not so elegant solution would be creating a new segment where the changes are more “permanent”, e.g., customers already know what dashboards to use and what insights to keep, etc.
h
Thanks Moises. Not for right now, but it's an approach for when some customers can be segmented.