Hello all, I'd like to know if GD Cloud supports s...
# gooddata-cloud
d
Hello all, I'd like to know if GD Cloud supports some kind of FTP / WebDav server endpoint, similar to the platform arquitecture. Or if the only approach would be the standard data sources.
m
Hi Diego, our GoodData Cloud product does not support FTP or WebDAV server endpoints similar to the platform architecture. Instead, as you mentioned, it provides various datasources, as outlined here: https://www.gooddata.com/docs/cloud/connect-data/
d
Thanks for the quick answer Michael. Also, can you please double check if GD Cloud has an API endpoint to directly load data to the data model? I know such thing does exist in the platform version
i
Hey Diego, What exactly do you mean by data, please? Like metadata when your data source schemes get updated? There is no ETL in GD Cloud, queries run upon your database/datasource actually.
d
Hello Ivana, It's the etl/pull2 endpoint on GD Platform, as described here: https://help.gooddata.com/doc/growth/en/data-integration/data-preparation-and-distribution/additional-data-load-reference/loading-data-via-rest-api/ Some of our customers have on premise databases, and currently we use a 3rd-party application to load data directly to GD datasets using the API. I'd like to check if that still exists on GD Cloud.
m
Hi Diego, this option is not availabe as GoodData Cloud does not support the direct loading of data from a database as mentioned previously by my colleague, however, for connecting to your customer’s on premise database, you could try using a datasource manager. You can use DSMs to connect to Data Sources that GoodData does not support, or you can use them to federate information from multiple data sources in one workspace. More information can be found in this documentation. Another option is the loading of the data via CSV files, but please note this is currently in beta.
Let us know if you have any questions.
d
Hello Moises, thanks to the DSM documentation, I didn't knew that was a thing. But I have another question now: Does GD Cloud supports multiple dataSources into one single workspace/ldm? If I want to merge data from both BigQuery and SQL Server Database, am I forced to combine their data into one dataSource, or use one of GoodData's supported DSMs?
m
This is not yet supported out of the box. Currently, I can only recommend using the datasource manager https://www.gooddata.com/docs/cloud/connect-data/concepts/data-source-manager/ We are however already working on support of multiple data sourced in one LDM. May I ask what is your use case? Do you need to combine data from multiple data sources on a dashboard, or in the same visualization or even as part of one metric definition? Once I have more details on your use case, I will mark this as “Product feedback” and this will highlight this to our Product team.
🙌 1
d
We're trying to define an architecture using GD Cloud that would replace our platform approach, which still uses CloudConnect graphs to load data from different sources. For example, we have CC graphs that combines on-premise SQL Server queries, local excel files, and API requests from our customers, and send the final datasets to GoodData. Since only 1 datasource is allowed per ldm, now we're forced to load the data from those 3 sources into somewhere else (which most customers have no centralized data storage solution), and do the ETL routines.