Hi all, Is it possible to choose a placeholder oth...
# gooddata-cloud
b
Hi all, Is it possible to choose a placeholder other than "(empty value)" for rows in an empty column and in filters for an Insight? For example, like it's for numeric values.
i
Hi Brunno, You can apply Conditional formatting on NULL values, but if the value is missing completely, then the behaviour is different. Unless you change your source data, it is not possible to substitute the “empty value” directly in your Analytical Designer. However, I understand you might need to visualize it differently in your reporting. Would you like me to submit a product feedback on your behalf, please?
s
Conditional formatting would only work for metrics and numerical values, right?
b
It would be great if we could also use it for dates, because I don't think I can change the source for null dates, can I? Would it cause issues?
s
interesting
i
Yes, Steve, you are correct. I see, with dates it is bit tricky, I can imagine the situation where the date simply isn’t uploaded, since there’s no such an entry, for e.g.: replacement date, warranty expiry date,… I believe that I saw a similar request tied to reporting in GoodData Platform recently. I’d be happy to add up there, our customers with GD Cloud would profit from such functionality as well.
b
Thank you very much @Ivana Gasparekova I will appreciate if you submit a product feedback about this.
i
Sure thing, I will reach out to our Product management team and you can follow our Release Notes to get notified about all upcoming changes and new features being implemented.
🙏 1
m
You should be able to replace “(empty value)” string via SQL, note that this only works on regular attributes. Your syntax could look something like:
🙌 1
The syntax above works on BigQuery, but it may not work for your datasource, I recommend checking the documentation for further details Create SQL Datasets | GoodData Cloud
b
Hi @Moises Morales, thank you! I’m doing something like this for the string fields, but the issue is about the date time fields. Right now I’m using “-“ to all fields, since it’s the default for numeric/metrics in Good Data, but I still see “(empty value)” for the date time fields.
👍 1
e
@Ivana Gasparekova we would also really appreciate this ‘placeholder for “(empty value)“’ feature, our customers have asked about it.
p
🎉 New note created.
🎉 New note created.
m
Hey I’m just popping in to say I have the same issue/feedback and would also like to customize what is displayed instead of (empty value) 🙂
👍 1