I am renamed an entity from "Order Products With A...
# gooddata-cloud
w
I am renamed an entity from "Order Products With Avg" to "Order Line Items" and I also renamed all of the attribute names for the entity in the Logical model and then saved the model. But when I go to the Analyze tab the entity names aren't updating even though the attribute names are. Anyone know why?
m
Please bear in mind that changing the dataset title in the UI will only change its visual name and not its ID. The objects in the catalog are grouped by tags in the backend that are named after the dataset ID, but updating the ID or the dataset name won’t modify them as they are set when creating the dataset. What you can do is use the API to Get the logical model definition, edit the corresponding tags, and then use the call to Set the logical model to load them.
w
I only want to change its visual name though. I don't need to or want to change its underlying ID
I just want to change the name that shows in the model on the analysis tab
m
You will only need to use the two API calls as described above for the dataset objects to be grouped under the new folder name.
The title change is more a FYI, as it’s merely a visual change and it doesn’t have the same impact as updating the ID.
w
So you can change the names of attributes through the model designer UI, but if you want to change the names of entities/tables, you have to use API calls to modify hidden elements not shown in the designer?
And the hidden attribute I need to change is called "tags" ... that is the element that controls what is displayed when building reports?
m
Attributes also user their own ID’s, therefore what you changed in the LDM is just their visual name. This is important to keep in mind in case of any issues with your ELT or when building metrics and insights. I believe it is possible to modify these ID’s via the API, but I haven’t tested it yet.
The tags are only used for grouping the dataset objects under a same folder. You can give them any name you wish by editing them as explained above, but they are originally named after the dataset ID.
w
Why doesn't the UI allow you to edit the tags?
m
That’s a good question. I would rather let one of our developers step in and answer that one, but if it’s important for you to be able to update them in the UI, I can also submit product feedback on your behalf.
w
It seems like something that a basic modeling tool would allow you to do?
m
I understand it takes diving into the inner workings of the LDM, but if it helps, creating the dataset from scratch with the new name in the UI will also do the trick.
w
Thanks. I will try this API approach for now
j
Hi, unfortunately, we still do not provide an option to change tags in our UI. Tags are generated from dataset/attribute/fact/... titles. If you change a title, corresponding tag is not changed. It has been reported many times in this community. I notify our product board, so it get higher priority on our roadmap. Meanwhile, you can workaround this by changing titles + tags through APIs. You can get e.g. LDM and store it to disk. Then you can update ti manually and PUT it back to the server. Alternatively, you can use our Python SDK, it stores declarative definitions to disk in a more convenient way (YAMLs, split to more files) and PUT it back with a single Python method call.
p
🎉 New note created.
s
@Sean Barry fyi on Tags and how they are represented in the insights view to select.
w
Possibly a dumb question, but when I try to use the API provided above I get a 404 error. I have used the "grey pages" before. Is the API a different thing than the "grey pages" ? I am new to this, I am taking over for a person who left. After researching a bit, I think we are on the "Platform" version not the "Cloud" version. How do I manage the tags referenced above on the "Platform" version?
m
No worries, since you posted your question in # gooddata-cloud, I provided the endpoints for GoodData Cloud. Next time, please use # gooddata-platform. In platform can modify the folders via the API , but I think the easiest would be exporting the model to JSON from the UI and then edit the values for “folder” on the corresponding dataset objects:
You will then have to import the new JSON by clicking “Edit” in the LDM page and “Import model from JSON”:
w
Got it! My model is fixed now. Thanks.
🙌 1