Hello, we are experiencing an issue on one of our ...
# gooddata-cloud
n
Hello, we are experiencing an issue on one of our dashboards. I took the following steps to create the issue: • Opened our LDM • Added one new STRING property and associated one new DATE property with an existing table I have no issues creating new analysis blocks using the new properties and no existing metrics or data is showing any issues. However, if I try to make any change (such as resizing a block) to one dashboard that we have, we get this error
m
Hi Nicholas, Could you please share a traceID: Errors | GoodData Cloud Native?
n
Copy code
{
  "detail": "The value of the 'content' property too long. Max allowed size: 15000 characters.",
  "status": 400,
  "title": "Bad Request",
  "traceId": "85319a3acc0c3857"
}
@Moises Morales
m
The error message suggests that the definition of the dashboard is longer than 15000 characters, so it does not fit to internal metadata storage column, which is VARCHAR(15000). There is an internal ticket to increase this limit and it should be implemented on Friday, but for the time being you would need to remove some elements from the dashboard.
n
Oh wow we maxed out a dashboard, that's interesting. Ok cool, I will check this out on Monday to see if the increase went out, thanks @Moises Morales
@Moises Morales Checking in on this -- we need to make a critical change to our dashboard but we are blocked by this error. Are there any steps I can take to find a way to save the dashboard? I deleted a few blocks but nothing is working.
m
Reducing the definition of the dashboard is the only option at this time. I can check on the status of the limit increase internally, but note that the roll out to production may take longer than expected. The limit is mentioned in our documentation here: GoodData Cloud Limits I can also suggest checking this thread for any further hint: https://gooddataconnect.slack.com/archives/C04S1MSLEAW/p1683655628602779
n
@Moises Morales I'm not seeing in the documentation what the factors are that add to the definition, and I am looking for action steps to take to reduce it. Do I need to delete insight blocks? If not, is there documentation on what factors into this?
m
The limit can be hit especially in the case of filters on top of labels, which contain huge amounts of distinct values. This is because when selecting a large subset of values, they must be stored in the insight/dashboard definition. If you entered long texts manually, e.g. insight titles, etc. they also count towards the quota. I would advise doing the clean up on a child workspace first, if possible, to avoid any issues with the production dashboard.
n
@Moises Morales Interesting. As our dataset that powers the insights grows, does the definition grow? This dashboard was not modified up until it this error was noticed, and in fact I have tried to delete some 20% of the dashboard's content and still cannot save it. So why would I be able to save it in the past with the previous amount of content, but after removing 20% of the content I still cannot save it now
f
Hi Nicholas, it depends on the growth. Simply having more rows added to a dataset shouldn’t impact this very much, for example. But if, on the other hand, you add a lot more labels and columns, with long, descriptive names, and filter them on the dashboard, it may have more impact. As for the removal of content, again it really depends on the content. 20% of the content you see is not necessarily affecting the content definition by 20%. As Moises explained, stuff like dashboard filters with many values selected will contribute greatly to the content definition values, although it’s really only 1 piece of content on the dashboard. In any case, we hope that the increase in the limit will resolve all of that 🙂
n
Thanks @Francisco Antunes!
m
@Nicholas Towery the limit was increased to 30,000 characters. It’s also outlined here: GoodData Cloud Limits – GoodData Support