Hello, we allow our clients to rename certain term...
# gooddata-platform
h
Hello, we allow our clients to rename certain terms in our product. My stakeholders from implementation were concerned whether our users would understand the plain vanilla (standard) terms that I have been using in the standard product in GoodData. I've read about metadata localization. Would this be a good solution to localize the environment for my different clients?
👀 1
j
Hi Hans, Metadata localization is used to translate the language in an environment for specific users. I’m not sure if this fits your use case exactly. Can you expand on the concept of the terms you are using vs. what your users would expect?
h
In a couple of database tables such as Employee, Customer and Cost Center, we allow customers to store fields that are specific to them. To technically cope with that we have created Custom Fields, for instance the first character custom field in Cost Center is called DepartmentCharCust01. We have a Web app, and there the fields are renamed to fit the customer's need. So DepartmentCharCust01 could be called Cost Center Entity name. In GD I've have referenced it as DepartmentCharCust01 as CostCenter Char Cust 01. But there it would be more helpful to display them as "Cost Center Entity name" for that customer. For another customer it will have a different translation.
Another case I would like to explore Metadata localization for is to rename the dimension names: the Department dimension is called Cost Center for most customers, but some still use our old term Department. Much like your Project term.
m
Hi Hans, as I understand your use case, I do not think metadata localization is good option here. As Joseph mentioned, it is tied to the language user has set in their profile (that also affects the actual language of the UI). You might consider the Renaming Utility to rename objects in some of your workspaces. You just provide object identifiers and workspace/client identifiers for those that should have different names (and those names) and let it run. If you have some custom field placeholders in your model, this is also ideal for them, since it can not only rename them, but also hide thise that are not used. Note that if you are using the Lifecycle management, a fresh release/rollout will chanhe the names back but you can always run the rename again afterwards. Actually depending on how long it runs, you might consider running it regularly after workspace provisioning (to potentially apply renaming in the newly created workspaces).
h
Thanks both, I will read up on the Renaming Utility then ✅