How can I filter out null dates on a line chart?
# gd-beginners
r
How can I filter out null dates on a line chart?
Note that I can filter them out by creating a flag in my dataset and using that as a filter, just wondering if there was an easier way "out of the box"
t
Hello @Rebecca Molstad, I would guess the platform did not recognise your dates as a date data type. Otherwise this would work out of the box. Does your date have a blue calendar icon or an orange one showing “ABC”?
I actually might misunderstood your question. Are you trying to filter out (empty value) or Jul 2022 & Aug 2022?
r
Hi Tomas - it's recognizing it as a date correctly. I want to filter out (empty value)
t
I’m unfortunately not aware of UI support for this situation. You should be able to filter out these empty values on metric level using MAQL WHERE clause. E.g.,
Copy code
WHERE Date (Merchant Live Date)   <> (empty value)
But I would rather suggest to fix these empty values in the ETL or last-mile ETL (e.g., using SQL datasets)
r
If there isn't UI support for it, we'll just have to stick with a flag for now then I think. I can't filter them out of the dataset because they're valid, I just don't want them in this particular chart. Example use case: Actual Ship Date. It's only going to be populated when a shipment actually ships. But I still want those shipments in my data as they're being planned.
t
I understand, I would try to tailor a metric that is specific for this chart and would try to filter out the dates there. https://www.gooddata.com/docs/cloud/getting-started/create-metrics/
🙌 1