If I use use as example datasets products with pri...
# gd-beginners
d
If I use use as example datasets products with primary key product_id and orders with primary key order_id and foreign key product_id, is there a way to create a pivot table that contains every product that is not in an order?
f
Hi Daniel, You can use the IFNULL statement. This can allow you to display missing data in your tables. A simple metric using your example datasets/attributes would be something like this:
SELECT IFNULL (COUNT (order_id), 0) + 0
And then you can add it in the Analytic Designer, slicing it by the Product_ID. This will display all products and the count of their order IDs; when this count is Null, it will display a 0. The next step would be to filter out values that aren’t 0. You can easily do that on the Insight itself, by adding a filter for the metric and setting it to only show when the metric = 0 (see my screenshot). I’d also recommend taking a look at the community article https://community.gooddata.com/data-models-kb-articles-46/how-to-display-null-or-missing-values-98 for some additional insight.
d
Just out of curiosity, what is the point of the
+0
at the end?
f
It’s meant to “force” a LEFT OUTER JOIN, ensuring the zeroes are shown. It’s a bit of a workaround, because in some more complex calculations the GoodData engine (by design) does not display the nulls/zeroes, even when using the IFNULL statement. I’ve seen the same being achieved by adding a
at the end, too. Some IFNULL metrics will work without it, but it’s good practice to add the
+0
anyway, to ensure it works.