Hey all! Random question, has anyone successfully ...
# gooddata-cn
a
Hey all! Random question, has anyone successfully connected GoodData to a DuckDB database? We've been using Duck more in our enterprise and just curious if this is possible, or even on the roadmap. I believe Duck uses a postgres compatible ODBC connection (but i could be wrong).
f
Hi Austin, support for DuckDB as a data source is not in our roadmap, as of yet. I’m not aware of anyone who has connected GoodData to Duck, either. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible, mind you, but it’s not supported right now 🙂
v
postgres compliant JDBC might work right?
a
I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
j
DuckDB is in-process database. I suppose you somehow wrapped it to a "server". We plan to embed DuckDB to our platform, powering our caching layer. Connect to external DuckDB is really not on our radar, but any PostgreSQL complain DB could be connected, unless JDBC URL is not compatible with the PostgreSQL one. In such a case, do not hesitate to contact me, we can quite easily overcome this limitation.
a
Thanks Jan! I found this guide for getting Duck to talk to Tableau. It looks like it has its own driver that would need to be installed, but I think that's doable from what I've seen of the GoodData documentation. https://duckdb.org/docs/guides/data_viewers/tableau
j
Well, it's not that simple, unfortunately. While it is possible to side-load JDBC drivers to GoodData, they must be supported internally as well. If the required SQL dialect is similar or even the same as already supported, it significantly simplifies the way how to add the internal support. If you can even use the same driver (PostgreSQL JDBC in this case), but JDBC URL has different syntax, even less internal work is needed. If JDBC URL syntax is the same, no internal work is needed.
Please, do not hesitate to contact me even through DM here and we can collaborate
a
Thank you, I absolutely will! I'm a huge fan of GoodData.