I'm having some issues migrating a workspace. I h...
# gooddata-cloud
l
I'm having some issues migrating a workspace. I have a parent workspace and child workspaces. We have a
stage
and a
production
organization. We are cloning and migrating the parent workspace from
stage
to
production
https://www.gooddata.com/docs/cloud/create-workspaces/declarative-interface/#WorkspaceDeclarativeAPIInterface-CloningandMigration We are doing something very similar to this. Same URL for GET and PUT. This is great because we can change the parent workspace and all the other child workspaces get the LDM, metrics, etc. The problem: When we overwrite the parent workspace, the child workspace
is also removed. I wouldn't have expected that. This causes problems because the
is required to allow our application to embed the dashboard and have it viewable with the child workspace user's credentials. To make it even simpler, I can download the workspace from
stage
and re-upload it to
stage
and the scenario still happens. This indicates to me it isn't something different between the GD organizations. Is this how its supposed to work? How can I maintain the permissions? @Radek Novacek always has great insight. Where have I gone wrong?
I would have expected that a user that shows up in the `/[workspaceid]/permissions as having the
VIEW
permission should show in the GD UI modal for
, but it doesn't seem to.
/api/v1/layout/workspaces/TEST-test/permissions
Copy code
{
  "hierarchyPermissions": [],
  "permissions": [
    {
      "assignee": {
        "id": "TEST-test",
        "type": "user"
      },
      "name": "EXPORT"
    },
    {
      "assignee": {
        "id": "TEST-test",
        "type": "user"
      },
      "name": "VIEW"
    }
  ]
}
j
Hi Levi, Could you please confirm the below first so we are sure that we get the flow here? If I understand correctly - you GET the parent workspace layout from
stage
first and then overwrite (PUT the result) into the
production
parent workspace. The parent workspace from
production
has some sharing set on it’s dashboards (thus also it’s child workspaces have it). So the reported problem is - once you overwrite the
production
parent workspace, the sharing previously set is lost for the parent workspace (and it’s “childs”) regardless of the sharing set on `stage`parent workspace? Or the sharing is only not being propagated from parent to child once the parent is overwritten? Please let me know if that’s the case, or alternatively, feel free to provide further information. I wasn’t able to replicate the issue yet (within my single organization) and everything works as expected for me. Though I only tested “All users” group sharing so far)
image.png
l
I'm now in contact with our GD support representative. I'll report back with updates. For you question, it seems I'm talking about dashboard permissions vs workspace permissions. I'm not sure if that impacts your testing.
🤞 1