So, I have a Headline that filters by an attribute...
# gooddata-cloud
s
So, I have a Headline that filters by an attribute “Sales Pipleline Status = Sold”. I can’t find any way to get this to drilldown and preserve the filter when I go to another dashboard, any way to make this work?
f
Hi Sean, thanks for the question. Are you drilling into the Dashboard/Insight with the headline, or from it? Would you mind explaining a bit better how the filtering changes during drilling? I would recommend taking a look at the articles in the Drilling in Dashboards section of our docs, for more details about how drilling and filters interact.
s
Drilling into a dashboard from the headline. I have a sales pipeline dashboard, it as a Sold amount, I want sold amount to drill into a Sales Detail dashboard with “Sold” pre-filtered. Seems like a pretty standard use-case for a headline. Headline tells you something, I want to go learn more about that thing. I can get the other insights drilling just fine when the attributes break out in visualizations.
f
Thanks for explaining. When drilling into other dashboards, only the filters set on the source dashboard are carried over to the target. The target dashboard (and visualization, if you drill to another Insight) ignore any filters configured for the source visualization in Analytical Designer, as is the case. So if you have a Headline filtered by Sold on the insight level, drilling from it will not filter the other Dashboard (with other insights) to Sold. This applies to any insight, not just Headlines. It would be necessary to apply the Sold filter to the entire source dashboard in order for it to be applied after drilling.
m
Just an idea how you can make this more reusable: • create a metric “Sold $” defined as:
SELECT SUM(amount) WHERE Sales Pipeline Status = 'Sold'
(or similar, I am not sure about your exact data model) • then use this same metric both for the healdine and the detail This way the filter will be part of the metric and will be used anywhere you use it. This way you can also combine within the same chart the metric for “sold” with another metric which does not use the “sold” filter if you need to.
👆 1
s
“So if you have a Headline filtered by Sold on the insight level, drilling from it will not filter the other Dashboard (with other insights) to Sold. This applies to any insight, not just Headlines.” This I all know. But other visualizations, pick up the attribute. For example, I show a bar chart that has a pipeline breakout of Sold and click through, it carries the attribute. You just can’t seem to do it with a headline, and based on the answers, it’s a “no” That’s Michal, I’ve done that already. That said Headlines -> Details seems like a pretty direct use case, my only way to do that would be to make individual dashboards that are prefiltered and tied to the headline, instead of a single dashboard that picks up the filter from the headline. Which isn’t fun, means I need to duplicate a lot of dashboards unnecessarily. But seems like that’s the way it is, hoping I was missing something.
image.png
I can click on sold in the bar chart, to filter a drilldown to another dashboard, but the poor old headline, can’t do the same thing. Headlines would be much cooler if they could 🙂