HI GD team, I am trying to find the best way to ap...
# gd-beginners
r
HI GD team, I am trying to find the best way to approach this issue: We have a User table containing standard fields like first name last name etc. On the user record, we also have custom fields, that in the LDM are part of a separate table, connected to the user table through user_id key. User table is also connected to other tables related to user activities (e.g. completions, views of items etc). I have no issue reporting of count of views or completions sliced down by user attributes (in the user table), but when I try to slice by custom fields, data points and metrics related to completions and views are hidden as unrelated. Creating a direct connection in the LDM between Custom fields table and Completions or Views table is throwing a warning; we would have expected all these tables to appear as related in the analytical designer, as they are all connected through the user_id key. What's the best way to approach this? Thanks in advance
j
Hi Raffaella, You can essentially connect datasets via MAQL using a BY clause. We used to refer to this as explicit lifting in our older product, but the theory is essentially the same.
j
It may help to declare table with custom fields as bridge table of many to many relation (double sided arrow in the model). See https://www.gooddata.com/docs/cloud/model-data/evolve-your-model/many-to-many-in-ldm/. With many to many relation there is risk of double counting but it will not apply if actual relation is 1:1.
r
Thanks both!!