Hi Team! What does schema stand for in Google BigQ...
# gd-beginners
r
Hi Team! What does schema stand for in Google BigQuery Data Source Creation? I’m trying to connect to a dataset on BigQuery - which will have views that we can plot out on GoodData. Is it the schema of all the tables in that dataset?
m
Hi Ramsha, Google BigQuery’s “schema” refers to the structure that defines the organisation and data types of the columns in a table / dataset. A schema essentially outlines the design of the table. / dataset, specifying the names of the columns and the data types of each column.
r
is there a sample for it? my dataset has two external BQ tables and then 3 views in it derived from these tables
schema
(Snowflake, Redshift, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, or Azure Synapse Analytics; string) specifies the name of the schema where data marts are located. this is the description mentioned for schema on the documentation page - and if i fill it out with just dataset_id / project.dataset_id - it still gives me this error:
Copy code
.rbenv/versions/3.1.2/lib/ruby/gems/3.1.0/gems/gooddata-2.2.0/lib/gooddata/models/data_source.rb:541:in `validate': Data source schema has to be provided (RuntimeError)
m
Hi Ramsha, can you please confirm for me if you’re using Ruby SDK to connect to Google BigQuery Data Source you’re refering to this Doc? https://sdk.gooddata.com/gooddata-ruby-doc/docs/working_with_data_sources
r
yes
m
The part
'schema' => 'schema_test'
refers to the schema within the Google BigQuery project where the data source is supposed to connect. The “schema” refers to the dataset or table that you want to use within your Google BigQuery project. You would replace
'schema_test'
with the actual name of the dataset or table you want to connect to in your Google BigQuery project. To find the appropriate name, you need to look within your Google Cloud Console or BigQuery interface.