hi guys. Proper GD noob here. I have connected GD ...
# gd-beginners
w
hi guys. Proper GD noob here. I have connected GD to Google BigQuery, but I’m not seeing any materialized views the Available Data sources list. Can GD read from materialized views?
j
Hi Wic! did you check both "Scan table" and "Scan view"?
Hi Wic, sorry for confusing you, but it seems that you use different GoodData product (hosted). Anyway, I prepared a reproducer:
Copy code
create materialized view test_materialized
as select count(*) as count_order_lines, DATETIME_TRUNC(`date`, month) as date_moth
from `tiger_demo_e725ed8bc4b77ea8`.`order_lines`
group by DATETIME_TRUNC(`date`, month)
;

select * from tiger_demo_e725ed8bc4b77ea8.INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES where table_name = 'test_materialized';
TABLES.TABLE_TYPE equals
MATERIALIZED VIEW
. This is something we do not expect, but we can easily fix it. I have just created an internal Jira related to our on-premise product (GoodData.CN). @Andrey Skripnikov could you, please, check it in the hosted product?
a
Hi Jan and Wic, We don’t support materialized views on GoodData Hosted Platform currently, unfortunately. @wic verhoef if you’d have some time to spend, please tell us why using the materialized views (instead of regular table or a view) is important for you for our better understanding.
w
Thanks so much for the response, gentlemen. The allure of materialized views for us is that essentially it saves compute resources (being quite table-like), but with most of the advantages of normal views. It is however not something that is a biggie at the moment.
a
Thank you for the answer, Wic!
Hi @wic verhoef, We have released the support for materialized views for BigQuery on the Hosted Platform today. I encourage you to try it. Feel free to ping me if there is any feedback.