Hello, newbie here. Is there a limit to the number...
# gd-beginners
j
Hello, newbie here. Is there a limit to the number of columns we can add on a table visual?
b
Hi Jeny, the limit should be 20 columns
j
thanks. so, there is no way we can have more than that or can there be an override?
b
Theoretically it's possible. The limit 20 is enforced by the front-end. Might be possible to add more by editing the metadata definition in the backend. However, we would not recommend that as it doesn't make much sense for your visualization and it would negatively impact the insight computation performance.
👍 1
d
Maybe a bit of a clarification, the limit of 20 is for the Attributes that are used to define the columns, not on the count of columns themselves. So if your attribute has 100 values for example and you use it to specify a table column, all 100 will be visible. See the example at https://gdui-examples.herokuapp.com/pivot-table the first table has two attributes specifying its columns (Quarter and Month), but it has much more than twenty columns.
👍 1
j
thanks Boris and Dan!
Can we add a column with the rows just a string of characters? for example I want to create column name: "Data", and I want all the rows to contain the string: "Good".
b
Hi Jeny, yes it's possible. You can create some dummy metric (i.e.
SELECT 1)
and then use conditional number formatting
👍 1
something like this:
👍 1
j
thanks!
how about concatenating 2 columns which are both string? is it possible?
Hi @Boris, this is our visual, we are on the limit of 20 columns, but for our dashboard of 5visuals only, this is the main part, we need to show about 40-50 columns, hoow do we do it,you say we can edit in backend? Thanks!
b
Hi Jeny, contactenating 2 columns is not possible inside of GD, it would have to be done on the database level.
I am not sure if it would be possible to display 40-50 columns, you will probably hit some other limits for visualizations (i.e. max number of datapoints). Aside from that, changing the metadata definition of a dashboard is not a trivial task, it would probably need to be done with collaboration with our professional services.
p
🎉 New note created.