Hello - this may be related to an issue I reported months ago that is still being resolved, but since the data point is entirely different, I wanted to come here and ask anyway.
The highlighted field is a custom field I added to our companies yesterday. This morning at 9AM EST, I went through and updated this field so that none of the values are none. It’s been 3 hours and the good data report still reflects nothing/null for most of the companies listed.
When I hover over the help, it tells me that the data was updated 16 minutes ago, but that doesn’t really seem to be accurate. I did include 1 screen shot of the company info for reference.
Best answer by nikismView original