Solved

Updating Data Models when Souece Updated

• 19 January 2023
  • 3 replies

• Participating Frequently
  • 6 replies

So I have a postgress database that has been updated to add new columns. However, my data model doesn't seem to pick these up or volunteer that they were found so that I can choose to add them for future loads.

Without breaking metrics how can I add the missing columns in the least manual way?

icon

Best answer by Joseph Heun 19 January 2023, 15:21

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3

You will need to make sure your LDM gets updated to match the columns in your source data. There is a good article explaining how to update your LDM here: 

https://help.gooddata.com/doc/enterprise/en/data-integration/data-modeling-in-gooddata/update-a-logical-data-model#UpdateaLogicalDataModel-Addadatasetfromyourdatawarehouse

Thanks, to be clear after reading the guide, the only time I have a guided approach to building my model is during the initial creation where I can map the various columns, after the model is made, I have not manually add every new column to a table.

Gooddata does not cross reference my copy of the data model with the source, nor does it volunteer that my model is now out of date due to it missing N columns offering any type of workflow to close the gap.

I ask because this means that our resource needs to monitor all in scope tables and ensure we have tight controls to start.  While important, it’s a different expectation than a system that adds this missing value.

Userlevel 3

Unfortunately, this is not how our Platform works. If you make some changes in your source data, it needs to be updated in your model and loading mapping as well.