Solved

Text Selection?

• 5 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi, not sure if this is just me, but I am unable to select text in tables that are on dashboards. If I edit the insight, I can select text but cannot directly from the dashboard.

We use this a lot for selecting session ids, is this a bug or feature?

icon

Best answer by Michael Ullock 3 January 2023, 14:24

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi, 

Could you perhaps share screenshots of exactly what you are referring to here? Which text exactly? Is this supposed to be a clickable attribute?

Not a clickable attribute. Dragging over text to highlight it, and then copy is no longer possible.

I can’t really screenshot, it’s normal web text selection that isn’t working.

Userlevel 3

Thanks, I understand now. It is not just you, as this was never designed to necessarily be used with copy and paste in mind. You can certainly export any table that you need as xlsx or csv and then copy and paste what you need from the export. 

Ok, thank you for the reply. This is a bit of a regression for us, we use session ids to review logs but cannot make these clickable on external dashboards that clients use as we do not want them to have log URLs.

Could this be made configurable? What was the logic behind disabling selection?

Userlevel 3

We have discussed this internally with our product team and this has been added to our product board in hopes that we can enable this for you in the near future. 

We have discussed this internally with our product team and this has been added to our product board in hopes that we can enable this for you in the near future. 

Hi, is there any update on this, it is causing our team quite a bit of frustration currently?

Thank you!!

Userlevel 2

Unfortunately, this was never designed to necessarily be used with copy and paste in mind, and it is currently working as expected. However, I understand the benefit on being able to copy strings from table in a KPIs Dashboard. As my colleague previously mentioned, we have marked this for “Product feedback” and this will now be considered for our future roadmap. At this time we have no update on when/if this feature will be enabled. But you can follow our Release Notes to see what future updates will be rolled out in the future here:
https://support.gooddata.com/hc/en-us/sections/203564877-Release-Notes

A workaround might be to export the table(s) to xlsx or csv and the copy the text/string from there. Although this isn’t the most optimal approach you will be able to copy the text from there. My aplogies that I cannot provide you with a better work-around at this time.