Solved

How to use order by in the table insight

• 5 April 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi,

i want to order by Month name column where i want January in the first row,February in the second row and March in the third row.how to do that.please find the attached image for the same

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Moises Morales 28 April 2023, 16:05

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 2

Hello Preetham, 

By default the data can be sorted out only as following:

• Alphabetically 
  • Numerically
  • Chronologically

You can find more information in the following documentation:

https://help.gooddata.com/doc/enterprise/en/dashboards-and-insights/analytical-designer/visualize-your-data/sort-data-in-insights/

Also, there is a possibility of using a custom sort label:

https://help.gooddata.com/doc/free/en/data-integration/data-modeling-in-gooddata/update-a-logical-data-model/#UpdateaLogicalDataModel-Sortanattributebyalabel

can we order by [month name] column in metrics.if so,how??the above links are not helping me

Userlevel 2

Hey Preetham, 

Can you please provide a screenshot of the whole Analyze page so we can see some context and what kind of data are you exactly using? 

Thanks

Hi,

Please do find the attached image where Month Name Column is an attribute and the Month Name  January should appear in the first row,February in the second row and March in the third row

Userlevel 3

Hi Preetham, 

Is this a singular attribute in a dataset and not the months from a date dimension or custom date dimension? If it is not a date dimension, you can set this based on the sort order in the previously provided documentation. However, if you are still experiencing some error, we will most likely need to look directly into the workspace you are working on. Therefore, we would need to open a ticket for you. 

Please let us know if you still need assistance, and we will reach out in a separate channel. 

yes, i need assistance

Userlevel 3

We have reached out to you in a direct ticket

Userlevel 3

Hello Preetham, 

Unfortunately we didn’t hear back from you and we had to close the ticket. Feel free to reopen it and answer with the requested details. 

-Moises

Userlevel 3

Let me send over here as well our internal response: 

I've checked the data and see that you are working with the attribute "Month Name", note that in GoodData, attribute are always sorted alphabetically, therefore, the months won't show in chronological order unless you are working with Date attributes. The only way to sort the attribute values as per your requirements is by using a sort label as explained in our documentation: Sort an attribute by a label.

For example, this is what my data looks like:

This is the sort label in the LDM:

And this is how the attribute values will show in an insight:

-Moises